Friday, April 30, 2010

Drill Bit Holder

My dad asked me if I could make him a holder for his metal drill bit set. I was more than happy to try and make something that would work for him!

So the first thing I did was make a pattern for what I wanted and the measurements I needed. Then I cut those measurements out of denim material and sewed all the way around with right sides together, except for about 5 inches in one area, and on one of the sides lower about two inches. The 5 inches is so I can turn the denim the right side out, and the 2 inches is so I can add ribbon stuff that I can't remember the name of to save my life.
I then cut off each of the corners so it would lay flatter.
Then I turned it the right way, ironed the whole thing so the edges would be nice and straight, and sewed around the whole piece. Where I left the 2 inch gap I put this ribbon stuff in between the pieces of fabric and sewed along the edges too.
Then I cut another piece of material the size that I wanted to add all the drill bits. I sewed along the top only, and then the sides and bottom I sewed to the back piece. After that I measured and marked where needed to be sewn to make the little pockets.
Then for the final touches I sewed a straight line down the very middle so the pieces wouldn't come apart. Then with the pockets I left one of the pockets empty so that the pieces wouldn't be in too big of pockets and the heads wouldn't hit each other. So I sewed the top of each pocket I wanted closed. Then just to add something I did a zig zag stitch along the middle of the pocket.

With the ribbon stuff I bought a D ring and one of the sides I sewed two rings to the top.
And this is the final product!!
My Dad really liked it and said it worked perfectly for what he needed! Woohoo!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...